Your spine and neck really go through the wringer during pregnancy. Although your body is producing hormones to help your body stretch and accommodate your baby, it doesn’t mean that it’s not uncomfortable.
It’s very common for women to feel deep aches in their lower back as well as neck twinges during pregnancy. As uncomfortable as they are, these are normal as your body is changing and your neck and spine are the foundation for your balance and support. Without your abs to help out for a few months, your neck and spine are working double duty.
That’s where chiropractic care can be extremely beneficial for women who are pregnant. Not only is it safe, but we also have clients at Cianci Chiropractic tell us it helps them get through their pregnancy in less pain than before.
Chiropractic Helps Pregnant Patients
Chiropractic care can help a variety of ailments or conditions associated with pregnancy. Some of those conditions include:
- Low Back Pain: Back pain in labor is caused by increased weight on the lumbar spine. There’s a shift in gravity once the baby starts to get larger, causing many women to do the common pose of supporting their back with their hand. It’s a lot of weight to hold! There’s also a huge change of posture and muscle separation. Some simple ways to relieve back pain include spine alignment as well as daily stretching.
- Sciatic Nerve Pain: Your sciatic nerve runs through your lower back, hips, and buttocks and then runs down each leg. Pregnant women usually feel pressure and pain due to where the baby sits. Some will experience relief if the baby moves but many will require treatment to help the pain and discomfort until the baby is born. One of the main ways to relieve pain includes spinal manipulations.
- Joint Pain: Due to weight gain, fatigue, and stress, many women will experience joint pain, even at the beginning of pregnancy. It’s normally located in the hips, knees, and back, making it hard to sleep comfortably or do other simple daily tasks. Joint pain can be relieved by deep stretching movements that allow the weight to be shifted directly off of the joints.
The Benefits of Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy
The potential benefits of chiropractic care during pregnancy include:
- Controlled symptoms of nausea
- Reduced labor and delivery time
- Relieving back, neck, and joint pain
- Better mobility and balance
- Prevention of cesarean delivery
- A healthier pregnancy overall
Not only that but if you pair chiropractic care with our other services, such as acupuncture or massage, it can double the benefits you get from your care. How frequently you visit the chiropractor is up to you, your doctor, and your chiropractor.
Of course, there are certain situations in which we don’t recommend chiropractic care including:
- Vaginal bleeding
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Moderate to severe toxemia
- Placenta previa or placental abruption
Specialized Chiropractic Care For Pregnant Individuals
At Cianci Chiropractic, we focus on the reduction of pain without the use of medication. We create personalized approaches for each of our clients to find what works best for their body, and we’re always open to questions or concerns.
Pregnancy can be a stressful and exhausting time. We keep this in mind and work with our pregnant patients to make sure they are comfortable and feel in control of what is going on.
Not only that but we offer the services of massages and acupuncture, which are two other care services that can help lessen pain and discomfort during pregnancy. We are truly committed to the health and productivity of each and every one of our patients.
If you’re ready to schedule an appointment or need more information, reach out on our website today.