How A Chiropractor Could Help Treat Your Chronic Headaches Instead
If you find yourself regularly reaching for pain medication to relieve headaches, you might be looking for alternative ways to treat your headaches or to prevent them from happening in the first place.
There are a few things you can address immediately to see if they help you reduce the suffering associated with chronic headaches including:
- Moving and stretching after each 30-60 minutes spent working (or doing anything). Move your head in a side-to-side and front-to-back position a few times throughout the day.
- Start an exercise routine. Exercise can help with headache relief.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration. Dehydration is a common cause of headaches, especially during the summer.
- Be conscious of your posture — having bad posture can also be a leading cause of neck and shoulder tension.
- Eliminate processed sugar from your diet. Excess sugar in your diet can cause chronic headaches.
If you’ve tried all of these tips and still haven’t found relief, your best bet might be chiropractic care. After assessing the root cause of your headaches, a chiropractor will use a range of strategies to relax your muscles and make adjustments to your spine to help provide you with relief.
Unlike taking medication, these techniques are more long-term in nature. Focusing on trigger points and manipulating your spine back into line, can help prevent the cause of your headaches. If you are taking painkillers on a daily basis because of chronic headache problems, visiting a chiropractor may help you avoid potential kidney and liver damage that can result from the consistent use of painkillers.
Chiropractic care has been shown to be effective in treating many types of headaches, but there are some that respond especially well.
Here are four types of headaches that respond well to chiropractic care:
- Tension Headaches: Tension headaches are the most common type of headache and are characterized by a dull, aching pain that feels like a tight band around the head. They are often caused by muscle tension in the neck, scalp, and jaw, and can be triggered by stress, poor posture, and overuse of technology. Chiropractic care can help alleviate tension headaches by releasing muscle tension, improving posture, and reducing stress levels. Regular chiropractic adjustments can also help prevent future tension headaches by keeping the neck and spine in proper alignment.
- Migraines: Migraines are severe headaches that are often accompanied by visual disturbances, nausea, and light sensitivity. They are believed to be caused by changes in brain chemistry and blood flow and are often triggered by stress, hormonal fluctuations, and certain foods. Chiropractic care can help alleviate migraines by reducing stress, improving circulation, and correcting spinal misalignments that may be contributing to the headache. Additionally, chiropractors may use trigger point therapy and other techniques to relieve muscle tension in the neck and head, which can help prevent future migraines.
- Cervicogenic Headaches: Cervicogenic headaches are caused by neck pain that radiates into the head. They are often caused by spinal misalignments in the neck and can be triggered by an injury, poor posture, and degenerative changes in the spine. Chiropractic care can help alleviate cervicogenic headaches by correcting spinal misalignments, reducing neck pain, and improving posture. Regular chiropractic adjustments can also help prevent future cervicogenic headaches by maintaining proper spinal alignment and preventing further degeneration.
- Sinus Headaches: Sinus headaches are caused by inflammation in the sinus cavities, which can result from allergies, colds, and other respiratory infections. They are characterized by pressure and pain in the face, forehead, and cheeks, and can be accompanied by a runny nose, fatigue, and fever. Chiropractic care can help alleviate sinus headaches by improving sinus drainage and reducing inflammation. In addition, chiropractors may use techniques such as soft tissue therapy and cranial adjustments to help relieve pressure in the sinus cavities, and to promote overall sinus health.
If you’re not sure if your headaches could be helped by visiting a chiropractor, it’s worth booking an appointment. If you are suffering from frequent headaches, a chiropractor can help assess the root cause of your headache and develop a customized care plan to help you find relief. By addressing the underlying issues, chiropractic care can help prevent future headaches and improve overall quality of life.
Our team at Cianci Chiropractic may be able to help you reduce your headache pain. Schedule an appointment today and start living headache-free.